The Watson Chapel School Board held their monthly meeting Monday evening where several new hires were announced.
The Board approved the following hires:
- Lyequita Alsup – Secondary Counselor
- LaTisha Boykin – Cafeteria Substitute
- Tonya Colen – GT/AP Coordinator
- Tristen Imler – Teacher/Dyslexia Interventionist
- Madison MacGann – Part Time Custodian
- Robert Potillo – Bus Drive
- Cheryl Wade – Special Education Teacher
- Heather White – Cafeteria Substitute.
Additionally, the board accepted the resignation of Irma Strong, who was a secondary teacher for the district.
Despite the hires made, there are several positions still available. Interim Superintendent Tom Wilson named the positions that still need to be filled.
Wilson said that all districts are having issues hiring teachers, and that it all boils down to money.
The Board also discussed the millage that citizens in their district will vote on Tuesday. Wilson said that he has hopes the millage will pass because a new high school is needed.
School security is an issue that is on many parents and educators minds, and Wilson spoke about things the district is doing to help improve security on campus.
Watson Chapel does have a contract with V Force Security, but Wilson said staffing issues have come into play with them.
Wilson has been on the just for about a week and a half, and he said that he is wanting teamwork to prevail during his tenure.