The Oakland Raiders have signed troubled former Pro Bowl guard Richie Incognito to a one-year contract — despite a history that includes a suspension for bullying, run-ins with law enforcement and the potential for another suspension from the NFL.
Incognito, who turns 36 in July, has played 11 years in the NFL, making the Pro Bowl four times, and immediately becomes the leading contender to start at left guard in Oakland. However, Incognito’s troubled past includes multiple suspensions in college, the ban for bullying in Miami in 2013, allegations that he made racist slurs to an opponent during a playoff game in January 2018 and two run-ins with police since he retired following the 2017 season.
Incognito pleaded guilty last month to disorderly conduct in Scottsdale, Arizona, after being accused of threatening employees at a funeral home where his father’s body was being held. He could face a suspension from the NFL over his conduct. “We’ve talked to the NFL, we’ve stayed in touch with them,” Oakland Raiders general manager Mike Mayock said. “There’s a chance there could be league discipline. Don’t know what it will be. It’s a one-year, minimum prove-it deal and we feel that he’s incented properly to stay straight and we don’t know what the NFL will do.”
The Raiders began talking with Incognito earlier this offseason; he visited the team facility and took a physical early in May but didn’t sign until Tuesday. “He’s just a really tough football player,” said offensive coordinator Greg Olson, who worked with Incognito in St. Louis. “He brings a tough demeanor to the room and the offensive side of the ball. Very talented as well.”
Editorial credit: Nando Machado / Shutterstock.com