Martaveous McKnight Scores 27 as UAPB Cruises Past Alabama St. in SWAC Conference Showdown
Pine Bluff, Ark. – Senior guard preseason Southwestern Athletic Conference Player of the Year, Martaveous McKnight recorded a game-high 27 points and joined the 1,000 points club to lead the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff (5-10, 2-0 SWAC) to an 82-71 win over Alabama State (4-10, 2-1 SWAC) on Saturday night at the H.O. Clemmons Arena in a conference weekend matchup.
The Golden Lions jumped out to a 15-0 lead, with junior guard Shaun Doss contributing eight points in the first five minutes of the game. The Hornets went on a 20-6 run with a layup by AJ Farrar to cut UAPB lead to one (21-20) with seven minutes left in the first half. Alabama St. went into the break with a 34-32 lead, as UAPB struggled to find their groove offensively.
The Golden Lions came out the locker room fired up and open the second half with a layup by Charles Jackson to spark the team up, after being down by nine (41-32). Cameron Posey would answer with a pair of free throws to tie the game at 47-47 with 13:09 left in the game.
UAPB would build a nine-point lead (70-61) with a jumper by Martaveous McKnight with 4:03 left on the clock to put him into the record books by joining the 1,000 points club.
The Golden Lions outscored the Hornets by a 12-10 margin to close out the victory.
FAST BREAK POINTS
- UAPB improved to 2-0 in the Southwestern Athletic Conference.
- The Golden Lions remains undefeated in Arkansas this year at 5-0 and 3-0 at home in the H.O. Clemmons Arena.
- The Golden Lions have won five of the last seven meetings versus Alabama State.
- UAPB converted 7-of-12 (58.3) from 3-point range on the night.
- After being down 34-32 in the first half, UAPB outscored Alabama St. 50-37 in the second half.
- UAPB recorded 36-26 advantage in rebounds.
- The Golden Lions defense held Alabama St. to 37 points on 47.8-percent (11-23) FG shooting in the second half.
- Martaveous McKnight scored a game-high 27 points, eight rebounds, shooting 10-of-15 FG, 2-of-3 from behind the arch and 5-of-9 from the free throw line
- Martaveous McKnight wrote his name in the history of UAPB Athletics by scoring 1,006 points in two years at UAPB.
- Junior guard Shaun Doss scored 20 points with five rebounds and two assists, reaching double figures in points for the sixth time in his career as a Golden Lion.
- Senior guard Charles Jackson followed with 15 points, going 4-of-4 from the charity stripes, dishing out four assists and one steal.
- Quamauri Hardy chipped eight points, five rebounds, and two assists
- Reginald Lee, led the Hornets with 19 points, followed by Tobi Ewuosho and Jacoby Ross with 11 points apiece.
UAPB returns to the H.O. Clemmons Arena Monday night January 14, at 7:30 P.M. in another conference showdown versus Alabama A&M in Faculty and Staff Appreciation Night. All faculty and staff get in for $5.00 with a university ID.