Golden Lions Hang Tough But Fall at UC Santa Barbara 55-45
Pine Bluff, Ark.– Despite another big night by senior Martaveous McKnight, the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff men’s basketball team fell to UC Santa Barbara 55-45 Saturday in a non conference match at UCSB Event Center.
The Golden Lions (2-7) jumped out to a 21-17 lead in the last minute of the first half, but the Gauchos (7-2) overcame the deficit in the final seconds of the first half to take a 24-21 lead into intermission. In the second half the Gauchos raced out to a fast start and outscored the Golden Lions 31-24 for the victory.
- Martaveous McKnight (Walls, MS./Itawamba CC) led all scorers with 27 points. He also had a team-high four three-pointers.
- Shaun Doss (Marion, Ark./Iowa Western CC) had seven points, five rebounds and one steal.
- The Golden Lions were outshot from the field, 45.5 % to 33.3%
- The Golden Lions hit 45.3% percent of its three point shots, compared to 25.8% from the Gauchos
- Martaveous McKnight is averaging 23.5 points per game, tied for 6th in the nation in scoring.
- Sophomore Terrance Banyard ranks first the Southwestern Athletic Conference in blocks with a total of 12.
The Golden Lions are back in action on Monday, Dec. 10 when they will host Christian Champion College in a doubleheader home opener. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m., right after the women’s game at 5:30 p.m.