Confirmed coronavirus cases climb to over 200 in Arkansas

The Arkansas Department of Health is reporting that 201 people in Arkansas have now tested positive for the coronavirus as of late Monday night. State health officials said at least nine patients were hospitalized and six required ventilators to help them breathe.

The total number tested for the disease is now 1,132.

At least five people had recovered from the virus and 931 people had tested negative.

Jefferson county has 21 confirmed cases, while Bradley, Cleveland, Desha, Grant, and Lincoln counties have one-to-four confirmed cases each. Additionally, Pulaski county has 62 confirmed cases as of Monday night according to the Arkansas Department of Health.

Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson on Monday ordered salons, barber shops and tattoo parlors to close.

Hutchinson said the state’s supply of personal protective equipment (PPE) is rapidly dwindling. He said they’ve purchased up to two-million units of PPE that could ship to the state late this week.

Last week, the state banned dine-in service at restaurants and bars. Those businesses can still provide meals and alcohol through carryout and delivery. Additionally, hotels across the state have closed as officials urge residents to avoid travel and social gatherings.